I feel like I’ve been pimpin’ of late, actually it’s probably longer than just recently. People probably think I am actually paid by ethical nutrients or Yakult….come to think of it a paid advertisement to the right would look lovely and stop me from harassing people. (Pay attention natural supplement reps!)
In all seriousness though yes I do have a rather strange relationship with ‘Inner Health Plus’ probiotic. I am totally in love with it. Myself I have at least 2-3 capsules a day at the moment. My children well they have it straight off the spoon or at times I pop some in their food to increase the dose so I’m not shoving a spoon down their mouth 7 times a day.
Its coming into cold and flu season and many people have already copped their first episode of the season. Unfortunately people don’t need to ask me twice, or ask a question that may in some way relate to their immunity as I’m jumping in to answer. Hell, I’m even recommending it for skin conditions, lethargy, mastitis, baldness – jokes. Yes stretching it a bit far. But I do recommend it to anyone that will listen. Good bacteria are very important for our body to function effectively. As the advertisement says with the challenges of our current lifestyles we are putting our body under a lot of stress. Not only physical but emotional symptoms can be affected by our gut, or our gut affected by them (chicken or the egg) They can also be intertwined with conditions like irritable bowel.
So this has got me to thinking. I have a first aid kit. It’s probably not your usual kit but it works for me and my family and I will recommend these to people with their ailments to attempt to resolve their condition.
My first aid kit contains the usual band aids and betadine but it also contains the following must haves for my life. Some items can be used for other household dilemmas as well. Not that I am any Martha Stewart, far from it. Anyway, Back to the list:
* Obviously Inner health plus or any other probiotic. I have touched upon its merits already.
* Flower essences, I personally use Australian Bush Flower essences as we are on this land and earth I believe using the plants and trees of the same land and earth assist in the action of the remedies. That does not mean to say that Bach flower aren’t just as effective, its more that Australian bush flower are my personal choice. The 2 major combined essences I have are Emergency Essence (Rescue Remedy in Bach Flower) and Calm and Clear. I use many others but these are our staples.
* Lavender oil- this is good for everyone and everything. Sleep, calming, relaxing, happiness. You can use it in a vapouriser (oil burner), in a steamer, in the shower, on a face washer, on your temples and in massage oil (vegetable oil)
Eucalyptus is another oil that comes in handy. Great for colds and sinus, good for scrapes and cuts. Importantly it can also be used to remove stickers and anything stuck that shouldnt be.
* Ear candles. These are fantastic. Great for sinus problems, ear congestion, “itchy” ears. Can be used on children. Personally I would recommend from 3 onwards but then it also depends upon whether your child can stay still. Do read the leaflet as ear candles cannot be used with some medical conditions.
*Heat bag. Whether it be a neck ache, headache, period pain or to just keep warm. These are a winner. Heat is a great relief.
*Psyillium Husk – You may or may not have problems with your digestive system but I’m sure we are all able to get constipated or some just a little trouble going to the toilet – even if its your children (Yes I went there. No I would never have thought I would be talking about toileting on my blog) . This works wonders. Within 6-12 hours (you can also add your wheat/heat bag to assist the process) you will be feeling relief. if you know what I mean. Psyillium Husk is also good for your skin.
* Neti pot- this little device looks strange but is very effective. It helps clean out your nose and assist with any sinus problems. It only requires salt water (or their special satchels)
*Baby wipes. Yes sounds strange but seriously they can remove most mess. So this isn’t particularly for health first aid but definitely great for lifestyle and ensuring there are no stains.
and finally its personal choice but I would also consider a multivitamin.
So what do you need in your first aid kit as must haves? Do you use any of those I have listed? Is your kit more traditional or holistic? What have I missed?